Employment Guide for International Students in Lithuania

Vytautas Magnus University is sharing information relevant to all international students who are interested in employment opportunities in Lithuania.

For EU citizens, the process of employment in Lithuania is quite simple, while those arriving from non-EU countries must go through certain procedures.

Non-EU students who are willing to work during their studies in Lithuania must obtain a Temporary Residence Permit, which will then allow them to work up to 20 hours per week during their studies. No additional work permits are required. PhD students can work full-time.

After graduation, non-EU students can apply for a Temporary Residence Permit, which would provide them with additional 12 months for job searching and self-employment purposes. During these 12 additional months no additional work permit is required from the recent graduates.

Later, if employment in Lithuania continues, the graduate should apply in time for the renewal of his/her Temporary Residence Permit on the grounds of an employment contract and obtain a work permit from the territorial Employment Services office. Both an employer or a graduate himself can apply for a work permit. More information is available in the territorial Employment Services office.

More information related to legal stay in Lithuania, social guarantees, health care, work, and employment is provided in the Migration Information Centre (MIC) “I Choose Lithuania”. Here you also can get a consultation in Lithuanian, English or German languages, free of charge. More information available on the website of “I Choose Lithuania”.


More information:

VMU Career Centre (Student Affairs Department)

Address: S. Daukanto str. 27, room 301, LT-44249 Kaunas

E-mail: career@vdu.lt

Phone: +370 37 327 983

Website: http://karjera.vdu.lt/en/